Thursday, April 23, 2009

Please Insert Foot Into Mouth

Let me start out by saying this. I love my job. Yes. It is true. I am a server and yes I love it. I will, however, never get over the fact that people think they can say anything to someone who is serving them dinner. Last night was no exception.

I was waiting on a couple maybe in their mid sixties. Very classy looking and seemingly pleasant and nice people. He was nice. She was not. Since when is it appropriate to tell someone and I quote,
"You look like that girl on the Biggest Loser."
After hearing what she said there were two ways I could approach the situation. One, ignore her she's ignorant and very rude. Two, stand up for myself. What did I choose?
Stand up for myself.
The lady couldn't even tell me the name of the lady I looked like but the damage had been done. How rude. You can say anything while I serve you about the food or restaurant or anything but lets not get too personal please. Don't say something so rude and not to mention hurtful.
Now maybe, just maybe, this lady didn't realize how rude she was being but seriously at such a ripe age I find it hard to believe this is a lesson she still hasn't learned. I guess my point of this post is to say please be careful of what you say to people. Although I don't know this woman and I will hopefully (I mean probably) never see her again in my life she really struck a nerve.
Anyways. That's all. I called Matt on my way home and told him he MUST go to Endurance and buy a membership on Friday after work.
As a side note. I do not have low self esteem, trust me I think I am awesome. I am not unaware of the fact that I am slightly overweight. After all I do own a scale and a mirror. But one thing my dad has always said since battling weight himself and I think it's funny.
"You can change your weight but you can't change ugly."
Good thing for me, I'm not ugly! See my self esteem is just fine.
Steph

3 comments:

The DeVries Family said...

Oh steph, I am sorry someone said something like that to you. How rude! And yes, you are awesome, and beautiful and definatly not ugly! I know how people can be rude, and wish they would shut their mouths. Being pregnant...I hear every single day at work..."Whoa! You are really showing!" If only they knew how rude that was!! Dont take it personally. You are beautiful and I am glad you have such a great attitude about it!

TracyVDM said...

I don't mind at all when people comment on how big I am when I'm pregnant. I'm proud of my belly! LOL I don't think it's rude at all. And Megan, you are so tiny for being 1/2 way through. I was bigger than that at 12 weeks! LOL

However, the few times I've been asked when my baby was due AFTER I had her let me know exactly how you feel, Steph. Not fun, at all.

So, what did you say to her? LOL

The Hill's said...

I asked her if she thought I should sign up for the show or something! Then I asked her if the girl was at least cute since she was obviously fat! As far as I'm concerned they never have to come back to the CH ever again!