I am not a fan of wasting food. Especially since every time I go to the grocery store the prices keep rising. For instance I used to get eggs for $.88 now they are like $1.39. I am cheap, dutch, and wish I could be an "extreme couponer" but I'm not good at math.
On Sundays we usually go to my parents but they were out of town so that meant I had to plan. Can you believe they just left us without a meal? I didn't plan ahead so we ended up picking up Boston Market on the way home from church. We got a dinner for a "family of 4". In hindsight we really could have done the "family of 3" because only one person likes the corn bread and we had lots of leftovers. Enter our dinner. Being the Dutch woman that I am I wasn't going to let anything go to waste so I made Chicken Pot Pie with our leftovers of chicken, green beans, and corn. All I had to add was a can of soup, milk, onion, salt and pepper and I almost always have pie crusts in the freezer. It was actually delicious. This isn't actually the recipe I follow on a regular basis but from now on I know this will work for left overs.
The Regular Recipe for Chicken/Turkey Pot Pie (Great for Thanksgiving leftovers) here
- 1 recipe for a double 9 inch pie crust ( I buy mine but they are easy to make)
- 2 cups cooked/cubed turkey or chicken
- 2 cups frozen/canned vegetables
- 2 tablespoons onion
- 1 can cream of chicken soup ( I use the fit and active aldi brand)
- 1/2 cup milk
Mix ingredients pour into on pie crust, top with other crust, put slits in top for ventilation. Cook for 40-5- minutes at 400 degrees.
I have a picky eater(husband) who doesn't eat the veggies, he just wants chicken so I actually do half of it that way and the other half with vegetables for the kids and I (just do less vegetables). It turns out good just make sure you remember where the half mark is.
No comments:
Post a Comment