Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Turning 2

I will apologize for such a long post before you even read this. Anyways. May 16 my baby boy turns 2.

I can still remember taking the pregnancy test. I could not believe it. We were going to have a baby. I, initially, was scared and nervous but it took only a day or two to get excited. We were starting our family the baby was due May 29, 2007. From that moment on my life completely changed and although I couldn't hold my baby I was a mom. I was living my life now for another human being. I remember January 15, 2007 the day we found out we were having a boy. I was so excited to have a boy and I knew right away his name was going to be Jackson. My pregnancy with Jackson was not easy. I ended up on modified bedrest at about 32 weeks which basically meant I couldn't work and just had to sit and wait. I remember the day he was born so vividly but have never written about it so hear I go. (Like I said, long, boring post)


It was May 15 and my feet were swollen, my face was swollen, my hands were swollen and I could barely fit into my maternitly clothes anymore. My mom and I decided to indulge ourselves for an afternoon with spa pedicures at Body Perfections. I had a little back pain here and there but really thought nothing of it. It was about 4pm when our pedicures were done and I was HUNGRY so we headed down the road to Crazy Horse. I ordered a chicken burrito (which has been known to induce labor) and ordered something to go because Matt had a few softball games in Plainwell that night so I would be home alone. I got home around 5:30 and Matt called. I told him I was having some back pain and I would lay down for awhile and rest and I told him to go to his games. Luckily when Matt got there it started to thunderstorm so he had to turn around and come home. I called my mom to see if I could possibly be in labor and she said YES sounds like it, you should call your doctor. She also offered to come over while Matt was on his way home but I said no, I am fine. And my stubborn self didn't bother to call the doctor. Matt made it home around 8pm and I was hurting pretty bad. He made me call the doctor to see what to do and I talked to him and he told me to take a shower and try and rest and if it got worse to come in. Well I took a shower and layed down in bed to watch the Tigers but I still felt bad so Matt dragged me to the hospital at about 10pm. He offered to drop me off by the door but I demanded that I could walk. They offered me a wheelchair when I got there but I demanded to walk thank goodness the guy made me though. I never would have made it to L & D. We got to the room and they set me all up on the monitors and checked me and I was dialated at a 7 cm. I was requesting some pain relief but there was not anestesialogist (SP) in the hospital so I had to wait (what seemed like an eternity) before I got an epidural. By that time I was about an 8-9cm and although it somewhat took the edge off I was still in a lot of pain. I was ready to push at about 2:30 am and I pushed and pushed and pushed....no baby. I pushed for 2 1/2 hours until finally Jackson Alan was born. He was born at 4:59 am weighing 8lbs. 7oz. and 20in. long. It was the best moment of my life.
May 16, 2007

He was born a seemingly healhy boy and most of you know the health issues that followed (liver transplant at 2 1/2 months) and all that stuff. I am so lucky to be Jackson's mom. He is a true miracle to me. There have been moments in his life where I wasn't sure May 16 would be a happy day but thanks to God it is. I am celebrating Jackson's birthday! He is doing so well and I am so in love with my little boy. Part of me is a little sad that he is already 2. The last two years have absolutely flown bye. He has brought so much joy to my life and I am so proud to be Jackson's mommy. He is the best and bravest little guy. Thanks God for choosing me to be his mommy.
Steph

1 comment: