Thursday, February 24, 2011

Blessed

Sometimes the way things work is just crazy. I just wanted to remember this particular incident forever. It was such an enexpected blessing.
I was working last night and it was super busy. I was asked to pick up an extra table and of course I said yes. It was actually odd though because these 3 guys had pulled Mark-The Owner of the Horse aside and specifically asked for my table. I didn't know about all that until I tried to give the table away to another server so that I was being fair. Mark said, nope, they asked for you. So I did what any good server does and went to the table. I introduced myself and asked if I had maybe waited on them before, seeing as they wanted my section, and they said no. In fact the one guy said he knew a lot about me but we had never met. Somehow it came out that they were from Chicago. So I asked what part of Chicago (like I know anything about the city) and they told me where they were from and the guy made a comment like you are probably more familiar with the Lincoln Park area though, right. I told him yup and left the table a little creeped out.
So I have three guys at my table from Chicago that requested me as their server. I thought there had to be some sort of a connection I was missing. So when I went back to the table I started a friendly interrogation. They weren't doctors and didn't know anyone specifically at the hospital and I just couldn't figure it out. I finally just told him a little bit of Jackson's story and why I was so curious as to why they wantedmy section. Then the man said his 12 year old daughter had an appointment tomorrow (which is today) with the G.I. doctors at Children's. He didn't go into detail as to what was going on but it was just preliminary testing because his daughter had been on and off feeling good and then bad. CRAZY! I asked if he knew who she was seeing and explained the G.I. clinic and told him his daughter was in the best place possible. I wished his daughter well, I wish I would have gotten more information but I guess it wouldn't be appropriate to come home with a complete strangers e-mail or something. I would have some explaining to do, right.
The man paid for all three meals and bought an entire table of ladies desserts. I thought, man this guy is super nice. His bill ended up being around $130 and I figured I would get a nice tip because he just seemed like someone who knows what he's doing in that department, plus he was from out of town. Well, you can imagine my shock when I went back after they left and got the credit card slip and there was not the 20% I was thinking there would be but a $100 TIP! I had tears in my eyes at the generosity of this man. THANK YOU!
My parents happened to be dining simultaneously and I told them all about it.
The men left and I still don't know exactly how he knew about me. Leave it to my dad though to put a few things together. He guessed that as he waited for a table he noticed the wall where we have all our past fundraisers and he saw the one Crazy Horse had for Jackson. Then he realized we had something in common and wanted to bless me. What an amazing thing on my way home I thought maybe I should turn some of that money into a blessing for someone else? Right now it's sitting in our "vacation" money savings:) I am still amazed at how God works. I am truly feeling blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this story Steph! ~Dana