Thursday, March 18, 2010

IEP Meeting

I thought I would quickly update about Jackson for my own well being. Sometimes it's just good to get it out in "blog world" for some mommy therapy. Jackson had his big IEP meeting and evaluation on Monday morning and it didn't go so well. I know he is behind. I am actually quite realistic about it but when you sit in a room with 5 teachers, social workers, and a principal, telling you how bad it is, it is hard. I almost started bawling there, actually two of his Early On teachers called me that afternoon to check on me (sweet ladies). I cant' say enough great things about Early On. He was evaluated for speech, cognitive, occupational, and physical therapy. His development level ranged from 6 months to 24 months. He will be 36 months May 16. Not good. It's really nothing Matt and I have done or not done. In fact I feel I have done everything under the sun to help him "catch up" but as a mom I want nothing but the best for my son I worry. I think about school in the future and wonder if he will ever enjoy school the way I did or if he will be a kid who is different and even mocked.
Anyways...He was diagnosed with Severe Multiple Impairment (which sounds really bad to me). Basically, because of his Liver Transplant they were able to get this diagnosis and we are able to get some help covering costs of Jackson's therapy and medicine. They said if he hadn't had the major medical problem he wouldn't be able to be diagnosed this way. The recommendation (which we already knew) was to go to the Early Childhood Center (Maplewood School) next fall 4 mornings a week for 2 1/2 hours. He will get all the therapy he needs there and continue with all his outpatient therapy.
I've been down all week, I've been running A LOT (stress reliever), I try to be strong but I've broke down a few times about it. Sometimes I am not as strong as I would like others to think I am. But then there's a whole other side to me. I know two couples who have lost their children and I bet anything thing they would beg to be putting their child through all of this.
So in my mind I am doing better than those parents, I mean, how selfish of me to want it all, right. I have a son here with me that I get to enjoy every single day.
Alright, thanks for reading my rambling sob story:)
Steph

2 comments:

Megan said...

Steph-I cant imagine how hard it must be and I am sorry. You arent being selfish at all, only real. What mother doesnt worry about thier child?! You are an amazing mom, and so strong for handling all of this. Jackson is so lucky to have you and Matt. He is such a blessed little boy and someday will be able to tell you himself how amazing you are. Hang in there dear. You're an inspiration!

the huizenga's said...

Hey Steph,
I just read your blog, and I wanted to quick shoot you a note of encouragement. I don't know what it's like to hear that news about your own son, but please know that many people love & care for you and your family, and God will guide you through - with many little blessing along the way, I'm sure!